According to one of the many ancient legends, Kakopetria (literally meaning 'Evil Rock') is named after a huge rock rolled down the hillside and killed a village couple.
The rock which can still be found today, is known as Petra tou Antrogynou ('The Couple's Rock). Tradition has it that newlyweds should sit on it together in order to ensure that they have a long and hapy marriage.
Kakopetria has existed as a village since the time when Cyprus was under Frankish rule, but there were houses here since much earlier, during the Byzantine era.
Until World War II, one of the main occupations of the villagers was the cultivation of silkworms and silk production.
It was also a centre for flour grinding. The flour mill, which was build in 1754, can still be seen today and it has been restored to its original state.